Month 3 – here we go! (I’ll get the previous month’s up soon…) The basic premise behind Project 12 is, as part of my #biggestwinner efforts, to create one dish a month which hopefully others will tell me ‘Yay-or-Nay’ in terms of health… plus it keeps me practicing cooking…
Goal this time was to use brown rice, prawns, and hardboiled eggs which I had from Trader Joe’s – before you call me out for buying the ‘ready-boiled’ eggs, that’s part of the Project – to make use of ready-made items but still be health. Anyway, with the base items, I went to the grocery store to buy some extras. First I saw mango salsa, figured we could make that work. and then I saw tomatillos which just look weird enough that they gotta be used too…. then I originally bought okra thinking that I’d make okra curry one day, but instead decided to mix it in to what I’m calling Bob’s Mexican Gujarati Nasi Goreng…. (a bit long?). Never made Nasi Goreng, but I’ve eaten it, and Indonesian foods are some of favorites, so how could I go wrong?….
Prep time was about 45 minutes and then cooking was only about 20. I think I could get the prep down to 20 minutes now that I know what I’m doing.
- 2 Tblspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tomatillos
- 10 Scallions
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 10 Almonds
- 1 Tblspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tblsppon Tamarind Sauce (Ambli for the brown folk reading…)
- Fish Sauce
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Shrimps (deveined, de-shelled)
- Frozen Okra (chopped)
- Trader Joe’s Brown rice
- 20 Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 Hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 bunch Parsley
- Blanch Almonds and slide off skin (I really have no idea of what ‘blanch’ means but I think this is what i did…. basically soaked them in water and then slid the skin off. I used to watch my mom do this all the time as kid when she was making halwa. There was no option back then, but man this was a pain, and I have no idea why I didn’t just buy pre-cut almonds…
- Chop Garlic, Scallions, Parsley – no magic here. just chop them up… the garlic was easy. Just chop the ends so the skin comes off, and then lay the knife on top of the clove flat, and slam down so it crushes the garlic…
- Defrost prawns and okra
- chop 5 cherry tomatoes into quarters.
- De-husk (take off the skin…) from the Tomatillos. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Boil 10 cherry tomatoes
- Mix half garlic, half parsley, tomatillos and cherry tomatoes together in blender.
- Set aside.
Prepare Brown rice – steam 10-12 min on stovetop.
Sliced Hard boiled eggs.
- Heat Oil in large skillet – apparently there are tricks to this… I just turn the grill up to ‘high’ until it looks like it is hot…
- Brown remaining garlic – this starts to stink so close your closet doors
- Stir in scallions, remaining parsley – I stirred it for about a minute.
- Add sauce and bring to simmer on medium – this step and the next were pretty much done together.
- Add the cayenne pepper and tamarind sauce.
- Add prawns and stir in for 2 minutes – be careful when adding this since the prawns have water in them and the splatter a bit… this should still be on medium-low heat
- Add fish sauce (this was a last min addition still not sure if it was a good idea or if it actually needed more…)
- Add okra (added it this late, because i don’t like them a bit crunchy. Way too many! Could definitely have used half a bag, or even a quarter…). Mix this for a couple minutes so all if it is covered in the sauce.
- Stir in rice. I just dumped this in, but I guess it could have been done slowly. In hind sight a Wok would have helped for this…
- Add in cherry tomatoes and chopped hard boiled eggs – this made it more colorful which I always figure makes the ingredients match…
- Garnish with almonds, eggs. Add mango Salsa.
I gotta say – this was damn good if I do say so myself…. Notice I didn’t add any salt and very little sugar (tamarind sauce). The rest at least sounds like pure health conscious ingredients! What do you think? What would you have added/removed?